Keep Your Eyes Happy While Staying Connected
The world of technology moves fast—much faster than our human bodies can adapt to keep pace! We’ve gone online in many ways—we can connect with loved ones who are far away, stay entertained, & have plenty of information at our fingertips!
Still, sometimes too much time spent looking at a screen can cause our eyes to work overtime. Digital eye strain is a cluster of problems brought on by prolonged screen use. Read on to discover how to manage digital eye strain, and come into Birring Eyecare to find further relief.
Causes of Eye Strain—Digital & Otherwise
Eye strain is nothing new. Any activity that overworks your eyes can cause eyestrain. Here are some things that may cause your eyes to work overtime:
- Focusing on a single task for an extended length of time, such as driving or reading.
- Being in an inadequately lit environment, either too dim or too bright.
- Feeling stressed or tired.
- Experiencing poor vision or eye problems like dry eyes.
- Maintaining poor posture when viewing a digital device.
- Failing to blink as often as usual.
- Holding a digital device too far or too close to your eyes.
- Being exposed to extended amounts of blue light from digital devices.
- Viewing a screen that doesn’t have appropriately adjusted lighting.
Tips & Tricks to Prevent & Manage Digital Eye Strain
There are some simple things you can do to help manage eye strain. By making your workspace more ergonomic and remembering to take breaks, you can help keep your eyes comfortable and happy! Try some of the following tips:
- Rest your eyes at least 15 minutes after every 2 hours of digital device use.
- Remember the 20/20/20 Rule! Every 20 minutes, look into the distance at least 20 feet away from the digital device. Do this for at least 20 seconds.
- Enlarge the text on your screen.
- Reduce glare from the light sources in your environment. You can even use a screen glare filter.
- Place your screen so that the center is just below eye level (about 15 to 20 degrees from the horizontal).
- Place your screen about an arm’s length from your eyes.
- Remember to blink often!
- Posture matters. Fix your chair height so your feet can rest comfortably on the floor. Don’t slump over the computer screen.
Come & See Us
Find us in the Malton neighbourhood’s Westwood Square Shopping Centre, 10 minutes north of Pearson International Airport on Goreway Drive between Etude and Morning Star Drive, just off Highway 427 in Mississauga.
- 46-7205 Goreway Drive
- Mississauga, ON L4T2T9
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 11:00 AM- 6:00 PM
- Tuesday: 11:00 AM- 6:00 PM
- Wednesday: 11:00 AM- 6:00 PM
- Thursday: 11:00 AM- 6:00 PM
- Friday: 11:00 AM- 6:00 PM
- Saturday: 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed
Children’s eyesight is crucial to their learning and development. Ensure they have a healthy and clear vision with a children’s eye exam today!
Planning on correcting your vision with refractive surgery (like LASIK)? Our caring team of professionals can help guide you through pre-and post-operative care.