Combat Dry Eye Disease To Keep Your Eyes Refreshed
We don’t think of our eyes that often throughout the day–until there’s a problem with them. If you’ve ever experienced the burning, itchy, uncomfortable sensation of dry eye, you’ll know what we mean.
However, we can help manage your dry eye symptoms with personalized dry eye treatments in Mississauga. Book an appointment with Birring Eyecare to discuss your dry eye concerns.
Understanding Your Tears
Your tears, and tear film, have a vital function besides expressing sadness or joy. The tears that are present all the time are called basal tears. They keep the surface of the eye clean, smooth, and protected. (Fun fact: those emotional tears have added hormones and proteins not found in basal tears.)
Your tear film has three layers:
- An inner mucus layer that keeps the whole tear film fastened to the eye.
- A watery middle layer (the thickest layer) keeps the eye hydrated, repels bacteria and protects the cornea.
- An outer oily layer to keep the surface of the tear smooth for the eye to see through, and to prevent the other layers from evaporating.
Any disruption to your tears can throw the balance off, causing dry eye symptoms and discomfort.
Dry Eye Symptoms
The symptoms of dry eye disease are irritating and can interfere with your vision. They include:
- A stinging, burning or scratchy sensation in your eyes.
- Stringy mucus in or around your eyes.
- Sensitivity to light.
- Eye redness.
- A sensation of having something in your eyes.
- Difficulty wearing contact lenses.
- Difficulty with nighttime driving.
- Blurred vision or eye fatigue.
Some people are surprised to learn that a symptom of dry eye disease can be watery eyes. Excessive tearing may be a response to the irritation of dry eyes.
Dry Eye Treatments
Artificial Tear Supplements
Artificial tears, offered as drops, can ease dry eye symptoms, especially if the root cause is environmental or due to ageing or medication. Talk to your optometrist to see what type of artificial tears can help with your dry eye.
Warm Compress Eye Mask
Bring relief to your dry eyes with a warm compress. A warm compress eye mask can add moisture, relieve pain, and potentially loosen any blockages in the glands that produce the oil layer of your tears.
Cynosure® Radio Frequency Treatment
Cynosure® offers a radiofrequency treatment that’s been effective in treating dry eyes. The warmth of the radio frequency used may loosen buildup or blockages in the glands around your eye, allowing tears to flow more freely. It has the added bonus of being used as an anti-ageing treatment, as well.
Proper lid hygiene can help provide dry eye relief. This at-home treatment is easily achievable with the use of a clean, warm washcloth and gentle soap.
Come & See Us
Find us in the Malton neighbourhood’s Westwood Square Shopping Centre, 10 minutes north of Pearson International Airport on Goreway Drive between Etude and Morning Star Drive, just off Highway 427 in Mississauga.
- 46-7205 Goreway Drive
- Mississauga, ON L4T2T9
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 11:00 AM- 6:00 PM
- Tuesday: 11:00 AM- 6:00 PM
- Wednesday: 11:00 AM- 6:00 PM
- Thursday: 11:00 AM- 6:00 PM
- Friday: 11:00 AM- 6:00 PM
- Saturday: 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed
Children’s eyesight is crucial to their learning and development. Ensure they have a healthy and clear vision with a children’s eye exam today!
Planning on correcting your vision with refractive surgery (like LASIK)? Our caring team of professionals can help guide you through pre-and post-operative care.